As a shapeless, impact-resistant, and opaque thermoplastic, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) is regularly used across the manufacturing sector for a variety of purposes. ABS plastic offers excellent dimensional stability, making it easy to machine, fabricate, paint, and glue. Used to manufacture some of the most durable and widely used plastic products on the market today, ABS is a premier choice for plastic products and parts across myriad applications and industries.
Emco Plastics provides ABS plastic sheets in a variety of sizes and thicknesses for use as a base material in numerous types of fabrication projects.
What is ABS Plastic?
ABS thermoplastic is created from a mixture of three monomer units:
- Acrylonitrile imparts high thermal and chemical resistances
- Butadiene adds durability and strength
- Styrene provides an aesthetically pleasing luster to finished goods
As a thermoplastic, ABS may be melted to make it more pliable and easier to mold. Once cooled, it becomes solid and keeps the molded shape. ABS won’t degrade when re-melted and re-used, which means that processes involving this material generate almost no waste. As such, ABS is a preferred material for injection molding.
Other properties of ABS include:
- Hardness and rigidity
- High resistances to abrasion, impacts, chemicals, and heat
- Very durable with good compressive and tensile strengths
- High dimensional stability
- Electrically insulating
- High machinability
- Excellent aesthetics
- Compatible with most paints and adhesives
There are several advantages of using ABS plastic, including:
- More cost-effective than many comparable materials
- Low waste due to easy reuse or recycling
- Color and surface texture versatility provides a very high-quality finish
- Low heat and electricity conductivity
- Impact resistance to help effectively absorb shock
The ease of machinability, a long list of beneficial properties and advantages, and inherent cost-efficiency make ABS plastic ideal for numerous applications. Common applications include:
- Automotive. ABS thermoplastic is often used in place of metal to make vehicles lighter. Common ABS vehicle components may include dashboards, wheel covers, body parts, instrument panels, and trimmings.
- Aerospace and aircraft. Parts manufactured with ABS can be found in various aircraft as overhead luggage storage bins, internal and external signage, seat parts, cargo containers, and more.
- Food and beverage. FDA-compliant for applications requiring contact with food, ABS plastic is frequently selected for use in kitchen appliances and food packaging.
- Home appliances. In addition to kitchen appliances, other consumer goods make use of ABS, including control panels and housings for vacuum cleaners.
- Electronics. ABS plastic is used in various electronic components, including computer keyboards, electronic enclosures, and more.
- Construction. Since ABS offers high impact strength and resistance to rust and corrosion, it is frequently selected for pipes and fittings. ABS components are also commonly found in power tools.
- Medical and pharmaceutical. The biocompatibility of ABS plastic makes it ideal for many medical and pharmaceutical purposes, such as cases and housings for many medical devices.
ABS Sheets From Emco Plastics
ABS plastic sheets are used across multiple industries to manufacture a comprehensive array of parts, components, and finished goods. The durability, ease of manipulation, low cost, and numerous beneficial physical properties make ABS plastic the preferred choice when compared with many other materials.
To see how we can help you select the most appropriate plastic sheeting material for your application, please contact us or request a quote today.
- Fabrication & Machining
Stock Sheet Options
|1/32″ – 1/4″ TH
||Standard 48″ x 96″; CTS
If you require a custom size that is not listed above, please Call or Request a Quote
Need a Custom Fabrication?Request a Quote TodayA member of our team will get with you right away!Request a Quote »