At Emco Industrial Plastics, we are a premier provider of high-quality machined and fabricated plastic components. We offer a wide range of manufacturing capabilities to suit different customer needs, from CNC machining to plastic welding to drilling and tapping to assembly. Our clientele comes from many different industries with distinct requirements and restrictions. Regardless of the application, we will work closely with them to develop an appropriate solution.
Two of our areas of expertise are signage and greenhouses. Below, we highlight some of the key considerations to keep in mind when choosing plastic materials for a custom signage or greenhouse project.
Considerations for the Best Plastics for Custom Signage
Custom signage is a perfect way of drawing positive attention to your business. However, it must be made from the right material for the given application. Otherwise, it may not look good or work well.
Some of the plastics that are typically used for signs include:
- Acrylic. This thermoplastic material offers a high strength-to-weight ratio, optical transparency, and moisture resistance. It is commonly used to make illuminated signs.
- Vinyl. This thermoplastic material is versatile. Its low cost and high customizability make it suitable for use in a variety of applications.
- PVC. This thermoplastic material is chemically stable, recyclable, and cost-effective. It can be combined with various additives to improve its performance.
Each of the above plastic materials carries unique advantages and disadvantages that make it suitable for different signage applications. Factors that can influence which material is best suited for your signage needs include:
- Environment. Where will the sign be installed? If the sign will be installed outside or in areas where it will be regularly exposed to the elements, you need to pick a material that is durable enough to withstand exposure.
- Maintenance. How much time do you want to spend on maintaining the sign? If your goal is minimal maintenance, you should pick a material that is easy to clean.
- Lifespan. How long do you need the sign to last? The length of time a sign is needed can range from short (e.g., a one-day event) to long (e.g., months to years). Depending on how long you need the sign, you should pick an appropriately durable material; less durable materials are suitable for short-term sign needs, more durable materials are suitable for long-term sign needs.
- Cost. What is the sign budget? You should pick a material that balances quality with cost. It should create the best possible sign while being cost-effective for your business.
Considerations for the Best Plastics for Greenhouse Windows
The three best plastics for greenhouse windows are:
- Polyethylene. This thermoplastic material is widely available, relatively inexpensive, and easy to repair. It comes in a variety of variations and grades.
- Polycarbonate. This thermoplastic material offers excellent durability, flexibility, and insulating properties. While it is more expensive than polyethylene, it requires less maintenance.
- PVC. This thermoplastic material is highly durable, lasting several years without needing repair or replacement. However, it is more expensive than both polyethylene and polycarbonate, which is why it is rarely used for greenhouse projects.
The plastics used for greenhouses must meet special requirements. For example, they need to be transparent to let in light as well as strong and durable to withstand extreme conditions. Additionally, depending on outdoor conditions, anti-drip and anti-dust properties may be needed to prevent condensation and dust accumulation, both of which can negatively affect the greenhouse environment.
Custom Plastic Fabrication Solutions From Emco
Looking for a partner for your custom signage or greenhouse project? Emco is here to help! Our comprehensive list of manufacturing services allows us to handle nearly any plastic machining or fabrication need. Our services include:
- CNC machining
- Laser cutting
- Hand and extrusion welding
- Edge finishing, forming, and polishing
- Drape/oven forming
- Vacuum forming
- Injection molding
- Custom fabrication
To learn more about our capabilities, contact us today. To browse our material selection, visit our materials page.